If you’re looking for a unique and challenging workout, aerial silks may be just what you need. Also known as aerial gymnastics or aerial fitness, this form of exercise involves performing acrobatic moves while suspended from two long pieces of fabric.
Before you dive into an aerial class, it’s important to know what to expect and how to prepare. In this beginner’s guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know to get started with aerial silks.
What Are Aerial Silks?
Aerial silks are long pieces of fabric that are hung from a ceiling. The performer climbs up the silks and performs various acrobatic moves and poses while suspended in the air. Aerial silks require strength, flexibility, and coordination, making it a great full-body workout.
What to Wear
It’s important to wear the right clothing when doing aerial silks. You want to wear something that is form-fitting and allows for maximum movement. Tight-fitting leggings or shorts and a tank top or sports bra are a good choice. Avoid loose clothing, as it can get tangled in the silks.
Basic Moves and Techniques
There are many different moves and techniques you can learn in aerial silks, but here are a few to get you started:
- Foot Lock: This is the most basic move in aerial silks. It involves wrapping one foot around the silks and using it to support your weight.
- Tuck: This move involves bringing your knees up to your chest while suspended in the air.
- Pike: Similar to the tuck, but with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Split: This move involves extending one leg forward and one leg back, creating a split in the air.
- Inversion: This move involves flipping upside down while suspended in the air.
Like any physical activity, there are safety precautions to take when doing aerial silks. Here are a few to keep in mind:
- Always use a crash mat: Aerial silks can be dangerous, and it’s important to have a soft surface to land on in case of a fall.
- Never perform moves that are beyond your skill level: It’s important to start with the basics and work your way up to more advanced moves.
- Listen to your instructor: Your aerial instructor will guide you through the moves and help you avoid injury.
Finding an Aerial Class
If you’re interested in trying aerial silks, you are in luck as we run classes for adults and children here at Synergy Gymnastics London. Although Aerial Silks are growing in popularity there are still only a handful of facilities in London that will offer professional training.
We are very lucky to partner up with Aircraft Circus who provide fully qualified instructors to deliver all of our Aerial Silks classes from our training venue at Brunswick Park School in Camberwell.
Classes for children can be booked on our parent portal here.
Aerial silks is a challenging and rewarding workout that can help you build strength, flexibility, and coordination. By following these tips and precautions, you can safely get started with aerial silks and work your way up to more advanced moves.
Good luck and have fun!